Friday, October 23, 2009

NaNoWriMo in 11 Days!


Only 11 days until NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)! If you don't already know, it's a month-long writing contest to produce a 50,000-word novel...in a month. The prize?

Having written a novel.

I'm extremely excited about getting started. I've written a novel before, but it took me 6 months to write it, and a dozen failed attempts before that. As a writer, I tend to worry too much about things being perfect (why else would it take me a month to write a simple short story?) so I'm going to take Stephen J. Cannell's advice and throw that albatross out. Knowing that what I produce on such short turnaround will largely be crap seems decadently delicious to me for some reason. I'm ready for rock'em-sock'em, freewheeling fun!

My buddy is a 3-time winner as well, so I have to admit...the competitive juices are flowing, too. Unfortunately, he's not entering this year. Too bad! That would have been cool. However, my lovely girlfriend is also an entrant, as well as my little girl (in the Young Writers Program--she's 7).

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment