Monday, August 10, 2009

I, Racki (Part XV)

This is a continuation. To start from the beginning, click here.

These Killianfield rocket scientists were giving me a dumb, waiting look. “Look… one thing matters here.”

“What?”

“Petra Plascak doesn’t make it off the boat.” My six year-old nephew picked up things quicker than this. “Alive,” I added.

“How’s that?”

“How’s you not playing stupid with me? I realize that you guys are from Killianfield and so that makes you very stupid people, but you’re getting $10,000 and a free pass out of town.”

These guys made my head hurt. Especially the short one. “Didn’t you say we were kidnapping this girl?”

“Stevie, let’s just say she got an upgrade.”

Stevie was wetting himself, but Kynedyr and Harold were handling it a lot better.

“Can we see that photo again?” Harold asked.

No. I’ve shown it to you a million times already, so get it straight in your head, and stop bugging me about stupid crap. She’ll be easy to recognize because she’ll be the one wearing the expensive silver necklace after the king and queen are announced and if you have any other questions kindly shove them up your butt.”

Stevie said, “Kynedyr, this is murder we’re talking about!”

“Look, man,” I told him bluntly, “do you really think if you don’t follow through on this things are going to be one bit easier? Seriously, your life won’t be worth whatever the currency is in the third world country you’ll be hiding in. Trust me, the Wilsons don’t like a quitter. So just focus on all the things you can buy with the money you’re going to make. Video games, I suppose, and looks like maybe some acne cream.”

“Last time you said, ‘Kidnap her.’”

“He’ll be fine,” Harold told me.

Stevie just sat there with his head in his hands. I clapped him hard on the shoulder when I got up to leave and said, “Kiddo, you’re just a dream come true.”

For the next installment, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment